The Lied Center of Kansas is, again, teaming up with a world-class artist to bring arts education to students of all ages in selected communities in Kansas. The Lied Across Kansas program will give students the opportunity to learn from an artist and experience the arts in an enhanced way, through workshops and conversations covering a wide array of performing arts, including dance, poetry and more.
The 2017–18 Lied Across Kansas artist is Paige Hernandez, a multifaceted performer known for her innovative fusion of poetry, hip-hop, dance and education. Hernandez is a master teaching artist and has taught throughout the country to all ages in all disciplines. To date, she has reached approximately 10,000 students from Pre-K through college level in over 100 residencies, workshops and performances. The Huffington Post also named Hernandez a “classroom hero” because of her outstanding arts integration and work with STEM initiatives. She is a member of Actors’ Equity Association and is a critically acclaimed director and dancer. Recently, she was named by American Theatre magazine as one of six top-teaching artists in the United States.
Hernandez and the Lied Center’s Engagement/Education Director, Anthea Scouffas, will visit schools in Wetmore, Sabetha, Hays, Russell and Salina, October 9–13. Once the tour is complete, Hernandez will return to Lawrence to perform with Baye Harrell in All the Way Live! at the Lied Center on Saturday, October 14, 7:00 p.m. All the Way Live! is a highly interactive show for families with children ages 5 to 12, using hip-hop elements to “remix” lessons on creativity, respect, understanding, cooperation, effort and self-care. The performance will also be broadcast live to the public through a webcast so everyone, including the students who worked with Hernandez on the tour, can enjoy the performance.
Lied Across Kansas Paige Hernandez Tour Schedule:
Monday, October 9: Wetmore & Sabetha
- Workshops at Wetmore Elementary with preschool through 4th-grade students
- Classes at Sabetha Elementary with 3rd-grade students
- Classes with Sabetha Middle School students
- Workshops with students from Axtell
Wednesday, October 11: Hays
- Workshops at Hays Recreation Center exploring hip-hop dance with preschool and elementary students
- Workshop with Hays Middle School students exploring playwriting, using hip-hop as inspiration
Thursday, October 12: Russell
- Group workshops at Russell Middle School
- Conversation with Russell High School students aspiring to be professional artists
Friday, October 13: Salina
- Workshop with Ell-Saline Elementary students on how to create dance and/or spoken word pieces
Saturday, October 14, 7:00 pm: Lawrence
- Paige Hernandez and Baye Harrell perform All the Way Live! at Lied Center
Watch Live Broadcast October 14 at 7:00pm
Lied Center tickets are available at: lied.ku.edu, 785-864-2787 or stopping by the Ticket Office, hours are weekdays, 11 am–6 pm.